Monday, May 24, 2010

Nirvana - Hormoaning EP

Another one to tick off my top ten wants list.

And before anyone pipes up, I know it's a bootleg, but I don't have the US$600+ to buy an OG copy lying around.



I have no idea on numbers on this one, and given that it is a bootleg, you can be pretty certain that the official numbers don't exist anywhere. To be honest, I really don't give a fuck. I am siked to have this record in my collection for me to play, enjoy and not worry about some fucker dropping a needle on it too hard, or walking away with it.

This EP holds a rich history for me, and when it hit my PO Box this morning and I opened the Mailer (I didn't know it was actually this record) there was a huge rush of nostalgia. Not because I ever owned this on LP, or on CD for that matter, but because of where I was when I first heard the song D7.



I was walking to work (it would have been maybe 95 or 96) and I worked in a milk bar (local store for those US/Euro people reading) where I stacked the fridges and cleaned up after the days trade. I was allowed to listen to my walkman, and I loved to do so which cutting up/crushing boxes and cardboard, and putting new drinks and shit in the fridge. I was mates with the owners eldest son, and he was a HUGE Nirvana fan, and he made me a mixed tape of random Nirvana Rarities he had gotten from another mate of his (we traded tapes of shit we taped off the radio, got from kids at school etc...).

I had heard a lot of the stuff on the tape from live shows and bootlegged tapes from the market, but when D7 came on my walkman, I was mesmerised. I had heard most of the Hormoaning EP from Incesticide but I had not heard this song.

I was about to walking into the front door of the shop, and I just stopped dead. I sat down on the metal benches outside and listened to the song from start to finish. Then I rewound it and listened to it again while I walked into work. I reckon I listened to it at least 5 more times during that shift. It was rare to hear such good quality songs that you hadn't heard from Nirvana before.

Fast forward a couple years and Cameron (the aforementioned eldest son) actually got hold of a copy of the Hormoaning CD. I had gotten to a point where I was moving on to much heavier music (Punk, Metal, Hardcore, etc) so I wasn't so overly stoked any more.

But here I am, and totally in love with this EP all over again.

So, it shows all the usual signs of the bootlegs: The shower head is missing from the top right of the frame, the taps aren't underneath the banner on the bottom right, etc.



The vinyl is a sick Maroon/Red that is slightly transparent. The cover is in awesome condition and I could not be happier (Well, maybe if I had an OG copy, but that might happen one day...).

1 comment:

  1. GREAT story there dude.
    Coloured vinyl looks sweet too

    ReplyDelete