Friday, May 7, 2010

Narrows - New Distances

Not many records hit my Mailbox or front door this week, so I thought I would post this one as I am here on a Saturday lunch time listening to it, and it is a fucking great record.



Now, I was always a big Botch fan (and I will post some Botch records at some stage I am sure, maybe even tomorrow...) and I didn't dislike Unbroken, so when I first heard that Dave Verellen was at the helm of this new band, I was fucking all over that shit!



The 7 inch came out and I was blown away. It felt that it had filled the void that Botch left (and that Norma Jean were unable to fill, and don't get me wrong, I love Norma Jean, but they ain't Botch) and my ears were happy again.



Then this came out, and at first I wasn't as stoked on it as I was the EP, but after a couple of listens, I think it is actually a better record. The vocals are really similar to the last 2 Botch records: distorted, doubled up with a slight delay on them to make them thick as molasses. Nice.

The artwork on this is fucking stellar! The concept is interesting, but the actual physical art is just beautiful. You can't see it so well in my Pics (iPhone pics at that), but it is a lovely silky stock with a spot varnish over the whole thing. I just love it, and I really hope to have the kind of dollars to put out something like this for a band in the future, as it is everything I love about LP artwork.



You can still get this record from Deathwish, and I suggest if you are a Botch or Unbroken fan, that you pick this up as well as the first 7 inch and then get onto the split that they have coming out soon too.

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment