Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bodyjar - 17 Years

I've been slack the last couple of days, there's no excuse other than that really.

I was out with my homeboy Shane buying bread in the city (Yes, I put up with an hour + trip time to buy my bread at one bakery, but they make fucking kickass coffee too) and decided I'd pop into Missing Link and suss out what was going down.

I walked in, and I reckon it looks like they are on the verge of closing down. They must be changing up the format a little atleast, as they don't have any shirts in there anymore, and their CD selection looked to be a bit slimmer. This might have been down to the re-arranged layout, but it did really look emptier, and it really really bummed me the fuck out.

I have bought records from missing link for close to 12 years I reckon. I used to go into the store when it was on Flinders Lane, and cram into the tiny space that was the shop, get stared down by the staff there (I always felt uncomfortable about asking about anything in there, because it all seemed so imposing) and occasionally buy the odd piece of gold, either something they had had in for ages and no one had noticed or one of the amazing records from the second hand boxes (I really wish I had of bought that copy of Through Being Cool that sat in the second hand box for close to 3 fucking years!) . In the end I made friends with some of the staff, Pete, Corey, Kat and others, and I came to love the store like it was somewhere I felt like I fit in.

And even though a lot of the friendships have changed (or gone), I really hope they can keep it all above water and that people keep buying records from them as I still have 1 mate who works there now. I struggle to get in there as much as I should, and sometimes I know I can get records cheaper online, I still try to buy at least 1 thing everytime I go in.

This is one of those records.



Granted, it was only a $5 purchase (although once I play these In Name and Blood shows, I will have a couple extra pennies to spend, as my wife has allowed me to keep the cash to do with as I wish, and they have a couple Alkaline Trio LP's I need to get back into my collection, and they will be the same if I get them on eBay or though the store, so I'll get them to support my local record dealer),but it was a good little purchase at that.

So, I took the copy from the racks up, and Dan pulled a fresh copy for me, and I was pretty stoked that I didn't get the one that was all bent out of shape from handling and being passed over for fuck knows how long.

It wasn't until I got home that I realised that the copy I got was not on Red vinyl as the one I had seen in the racks (and I have said before I am a fucking sucker for Red vinyl), it was a marbled Purple.



Also, this one wasn't hand numbered like to the one in the racks either. It isn't all bad, as I'll probably head back into the Link and buy the Red numbered one, but I was still a little bummed, being the nerdholio that I am.



The last time I really enjoyed Bodyjar was when they put out No Touch Red. As far as I am concerned, the band ended there for me. And it only got worse. No Ben, then Ross bailed, and it became the Cam and Grant show. The rest of the dudes they got in could play, but the band slowed down so much compared to the earlier records, that it kinda lost it for me.

I think that this record is pretty close to the No Touch Red stuff, and I really dig the Single, 17 Years. The B side is OK. It doesn't really grab me like the Single, but it isn't bad either.

The artwork on the other hand is fucking KICK ASS! It's printed on lovely thick stock and it is assembled well.

All over a nice little trip down memory lane, and not a bad score for a fiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment