Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Streets

It's been way too long between posts, so i have a couple triple posts (3 records from the same artist) from records that I have bought together.


First up is 3 of 4 albums by the UK's The Streets,AKA Mike Skinner. I guess this is a little different to what I a used to posting, butI do love a good dose of Hip Hop at times, usually 80's and 90's Gansta Rap, but the UK has some really interesting stuff from time to time. I also really like Skinner's delivery.





The great thing about all the The Streets's records is, that they are all different. They are all un-mistakenly The Streets, and they all have pretty prominent Garage influences, but they are all very different. Each one feels more and more organic too, from a musical perspective.

I actually picked these up at a record store in Fitzroy, on Brunswick Street, called Polyester (which has a book store on the same road, that sells some great fucking books, but they get raided perioddically, as they sell a lot of un-censored books, which I love, but sucks for them), and I reckon I could have gotten them a touch cheaper,but I haven't seen these records around much too often for a decent price, and any chance I can support a local record store, I will.





The only record they didn't have in stock was my favourite of his 4 records, A Grand Don't come for Free. I was bummed, bu also super stoked as I picked up 3 records from an artist I really should have bought fucking ages ago in one fell swoop!
What I like about all of these LP's is the artwork, is the use of a photograph for the artwork. Only two (The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living, and A Grand don't come for Free ) have Mike in the shot.





The photo for the Original Pirate Material, really sets the mood and tone for the music in the album, bleak. The art for The Hardest Way... sets the vibe that Mike is at a decadent chapter of his life, and the lyrics really drive that home. The art for Everything is Borrowed sets the tone once again, it's bleak at times, but a really soothing record, and for the most part, quite positive.

So now, on the lookout for A Grand don't come for Free and I amsuper fucking siked for when Computers and Blues finally hits the streets (sorry for the fucking shitty pun), which is the last under The Streets moniker.

No comments:

Post a Comment