Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hole - Live Through This

A record I have been looking for for so fucking long that it hurts.



This record has so many memories for me growing up. I was a big Nirvana Fan, and when Kurt and Courtney got together, I felt the need to explore Hole. I am really lucky that I started with this record, as if I had of started with "Pretty on the inside", I probably wouldn't have been so into the band. Not that it isn't a good record, but being as I was 15 years ago, then I can pretty much say that I wouldn't have been into it, as I had much more descriminitive tastes.



At 15-ish, I was working in a Milkbar (local/corner store for you non-Australians) stacking the fridge and cleaning up the back yard area, and the shop owners eldest son was a huge Cobain/Nirvana fan, and as such got me into a lot of good music. This was a time before the internet was the behemoth it is now, and trying to track down rarities of Nirvana and the such were pretty fucking hard. He was one of the first people I knew who were on to Hole, and dubbed me this onto a tape (The other side was Soul Asylum's "Grave Dancers Union") and I used to listen to it on my walkman in the fridge and freezer of the shop while I was stocking the shelves in there.

I really had no knowledge of other shit like this, except for Nirvana and Soundgarden, and this record had great production, and there were rumours that Kurt Cobain had written most of the record for Courtney Love were circulating (which would explain why the songs are so fucking good, and still stand up against the test of time Today), so I was stoked on it, and I wore that tape to fucking nothing. I still have the copy of the CD version I bought years and years ago in a box somewhere, but now I don't need the fucking thing anymore, because I have this lovely piece of wax finally in my collection.



No insert on this one. It has all the details listed on the back of the jacket. No mention of Kurt though, only Dave Grohl.

I was pretty lucky with this one, as I have seen it go for upwards of $100 on eBay. I was about to go to bed, and I never actually wake up to bid on stuff when I set my alarm, so I just put my max bid on and hoped for the best. I woke up the next day, checked my eBay account and found that I had won it for $41. Seriously, to buy this LP in Australia in 1995 would have cost me $25-ish dollars anyway (and $39.99 if it were released today and I bought it in an Australian Store), so I think I made out like a bandit on this one!

This is super clean, plays like a dream and was another top want crossed off of my list. Stoked to say the least...

1 comment:

  1. Jealous dude! I still need this one, such a good album.

    ReplyDelete