Monday, August 30, 2010

The Get Up Kids - 4 Minute Mile LP

As usual it's been way too long between posts. Life gets busy sometimes.



I got this in the mail today. A bit of a weird one in regards to actually getting this to me. I bought it on eBay, at a BIN price of $10. It's a first pressing of this amazing album, and to be honest I should have been dubious of a first pressing of this for a tenner, but I do love a good bargain, and this is what I had gotten.



It was listed as EX vinyl and EX+ cover, so I was super stoked.



To start with, it took 2 weeks before it was shipped. The chick who sold it to me told me that she had posted it but it had been returned to sender saying the address wrong. The thing is, I work for the Australian Postal Service, so I advised her that that wasn't possible, as it would have been sent back via seamail, and it would take between 3-6 months to be returned. I also advised that I buy and receive records daily with no hassles. Then the story changed a couple times, but I left it as she said it was being "resent" that day.

So I wait.

Luckily a week later it has turned up. I got super pumped as I fucking love the shit out of this album, and I haven't owned a copy in years...

Side story: the first time I heard this record was on a record player in a vegan cafe that an old friend of mine used to run in Adelaide. I used to work there when I went to Adelaide to hang out, and I used to eat salad with Pinenuts and make coffee with my mate Gabe. I loved the LP so much I got my self a copy. I may have even convince her to give me the copy she had in the cafe. I played the living shit out of that LP...

Back to eBay story:

So I pull this bad boy out of the mailer and I look it over, as I was sure it was gonna make my month.

WRONG!



The sleeve is actually OK I guess. A bit creased along the spine, but I can live with that. I pulled out the inner sleeve and it is pretty rough, and it has food stains on both sides. It's at his stage I get fucking furious. And as some of you will know, I do get angry about this shit from time to time.



Then I slip the LP out of the sleeve and there are so many visible surface scratches on this piece of shit that it looks like it was stored out of the sleeve most of the time. This is taken from the listing: "This album is the original pressing on Doghouse Records from 1997 which is long out of print and difficult to find. Plays with a tolerable amount of noise between tracks. "



I put it on and it crackles all the way through. I do love the occasional record sound (pop or crackle) but not audibly through out the whole album. So much that it over powers the music at times. This thing also fucking skipped at least 6 times.

I now know why I got a bargain.

Fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment