Monday, September 6, 2010

Ten Foot Pole - REV

There is something fantastic about crossing a major want/10 ten want off of your list.



To be honest, this was my Holy Grail. The one record I wanted so badly, but never seemed to be able to attain. I looked everywhere, but alas, it eluded me...



This has sat so high up on my list for so long, that I actually thought I'd never get it. It isn't a super rare record, but I have never seen it on eBay myself, and Epitaph had a bunch of old/dead stock up on the Store when the new store went live, I didn't know about it and never managed to get one.



And to be honest again (wow, twice in one post...) this is the first time I have ever listened to it on vinyl. It was almost all I hoped it to be. The reason I say almost is, It's a Monday night at 930 and I can't listen to it as loud as I want to, and I don't have my P2 yet...



For those not in the know, this is one of the greatest pop punk records released in the mid 90's in my opinion (and also one of the most under rated releases from the mid 90's Punk Scene). Released in 1994 on Epitaph, I first found this band on "Punk a Rama volume 1" with the song "My Wall", and from then on, I needed to track down this band. I got onto my local record store and picked it up on CD, and I was so stoked. From the artwork, to the sound (Over driven guitars, not heaps of distortion), to the awesomely fast songs. In 2000 the drummer in the band I was in then wanted to cover something off of this, and I am spewing it never came about. Even though I would have ruined it, it still would have been uber cool!



This is the second full length that the band release with Scott Radinsky, and, again in my opinion, they're best work. Scott was kicked out of the band in 1995/1996 due to his commitments playing Major League Baseball (Whitesox/Dodgers/Indians).

I never got to see Ten Foot Pole, although they did tour Australia with Satanic Surfers, but they had Dennis Jagard on vocals. I was more upset by missing Satanic Surfers to be honest. Although, when Scott came out with Pulley, my mate Melder took the Rev skate deck I have (My wife tee'd it all up, in one of the most lovely things anyone has ever done for me), and got Scott to sign it. It says " Craigos, Like The Sk8, Scott" I still need to get that one on the wall...





I was lucky enough to snag this little piece of my past, not by using eBay, but getting it off of another site. I kinda don't want to give away my secrets on this one, but it wasn't deadformat or vinyl collective, I can tell you that now. The guy who sold it to me was from the UK, and as you can see, this thing almost looks new. I mean shit, it even has the fucking sticker that came with it in there. This this is 16 years old!



I haven't been so stoked in a long time, and When I busted it out of the PO Box, I wanted to bail home and put it on straight away...

This album makes me remember High School. Some good times, a bunch of bad times, skipping school to go skating and heaps of good tunes.

Bring on summer so I can crank Ten Foot Pole, No Fun at All, Pennywise and Millencolin non stop!

Woo!

No comments:

Post a Comment