Wednesday, September 22, 2010

2 more top tens off the list!

The Icarus Line - Mono



It has been a good week so far for me record-wise. 2 of my top 10 wants have arrived in the mail, and this is the first of the 2.



This is not the rarest of records out there, but it has taken me a fair few years to get a copy back into my collection. I actually didn't realise that it came on this colourway, as I had only ever seen it on Red or Black. I had it on Red when I owned it many many moons ago. I guess the people who actually liked the band hung on to what I would say is their best material.



I remember seeing this band about 8 years ago. They played to next to no one, and while I paid to go to the first show, it went so bad that pretty much anyone who wanted to got on the door list for the second show, just so the band didn't play to an empty room. Still didn't help much. I did meet Aaron North (of Buddyhead fame) at that show, and yeah, he was an asshole, but I was stoked, as it was exactly what I expected. I miss the wit of Buddyhead sometimes. They did that schtick well.



My wife has described the show as 40 mintes of outro music, and I reckon to an extent that that is the perfect description for this band. On a side note, my wife and I were both at the show, although we had not yet met.Another part to all of that, my long term girlfriend of the time met the drummer after the show, and turns out she was supposed to move to the US to be with him after we broke up, but he was a total weirdo and decided to drive trucks, so she hooked up with the gremlin looking bass player from The (International) Noise Conspiracy. I tell ya, my life has been filled with weird stuff like that...



Now, I f*cking loved The Icarus Line, and "Feed a Cat to your Cobra" is still one of my favourite songs, so getting this in the mail was an awesome day for me. I danced a jig. Yep, I danced in the post office.

Next up we have an LP that I have never actually seen a physical copy of: No Fun At All's - No Straight Angles.



This is the first international punk band I ever went and saw. They played an All Ages show at a place called The Central Club in Richmond, Victoria, and I remember it as I had never been to a proper punk show, and it was all so exciting. I had only heard some of the songs from NFAA on a mix tape a skater dude had given me at school (I used to be an avid rap/hip hop fan), and this was the fastest thing I had ever heard. Ever.



Piled on the train, keen to get there early to make sure I got in (I think the show was $8 or something crazy like that), and I was keen to check out some live bands, up nice and close, and not behind a barrier like when I went to see Smashing Pumpkins. Lining up, I met some cool kids, only 1 of which I still see regularly, and then got into this dirty, dingy club, that let kids smoke. Me and my newly cut off camo shorts were stoked. I also remember I had a Frenzal Rhomb shirt, the biggest wallet chain I could find and a huge safety pin to make sure I didn't liose my wallet while stage diving.



The first band up was No Comply (I think), then One Inch Punch, then a very young Millencolin (yep, when Nikola was still tubby), and then No Fun At All.

Seriously, I don't think I have ever stage dived more than that day. Ohhh, maybe when I first saw Blink 182 play in a tiny little venue in Prahran.

This record brings me so many good memories, and it's still as fast as sh!t.

I got this cop through my sneaky little ways again (I haven't ever seen this on eBay to be honest), and it is so clean that I almost fell over when a dude at work picked it up and slipped the record out of the sleeve. Plays like a dream, and there is only 1 thing that bums me out on this one, no secret track of "What you say".

Can't win them all can we?

No comments:

Post a Comment