Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sleigh Bells - Treats

Wow.



That was the first thing I thought of when I first heard the songs from this LP. And when I put it on now, I still think "WOW!".



I knew very little about what this was, and I downloaded it (Yep, I'm "THAT GUY"!) based on the cover art alone. Then I read into what it was and got even more stoked on it.



I actually picked this up last night at Polyester Records in Brunswick, as I was out for dinner with old mate Shane, and he mentioned that they were still open and I thought I'd duck my head in and have a gander for PJ Harvey Records, and while Shane was pointing out a record on the wall, the one next to it was this little bugger.



Now, I have a love/hate relationship with Picture Discs. I love the look, hate the sound. This has been done well as pic disc, still sounds heavy as fuck, but the pop side of things shines through in just the right amounts.



It seriously sounds like everything apart from the vocals was run at 11 and is as distorted as all shit, and it fucking rules!

The main songwriter is Derek Miller from Poison The Well, and the vocalist is some chick he met while he was waiting tables, but she was in some teen pop group and had a couple singles when she was younger. I can't really explain why I like this so much. It has a real UK garage feel to a lot of it, and it's on M.I.A's label, an there's even comparisons there.

Not sure bow available this thing is, and I paid $35 at my local store, but it would have cost me more to buy if from their webstore. That's. Weird one righ there matey.

No comments:

Post a Comment