Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Converge - Axe to Fall LP (Tour Version)

I have had a few copies of this LP, but now I have only 2 copies, and this one I just got from a mate out of the kindness of his own heart. I'll have to find something to repay Oliver, as he is an awesome dude, supports local bands and labels, and has bought heaps of shit off of me in the past. Thanks amigo!



This record took some time to grow on me. Yep, I am one of those "I start to listen to a Converge record, then I just go straight back to Jane Doe" people. Once I actually sat back and listened to everything going on on this LP, it blew me the fuck away!



It has everything you want from a Converge record. Insane fast parts, Heavy as fuck mosh parts (I mean come on, the Breakdown in Axe to Fall makes me want to mosh the fuck outta something) and then the branched out Atmospheric songs with sung vocals and some gnarly as hell solos thrown into the mix. I still love Bannons vocals on Converge releases, They always feel super frantic and urgent, and just plain fucking angry.



The production on this one is spot on in my opinion too. The songs flow really well into one another, making them good songs alone, but as a cohesive piece of music, they are just plain crushing. The collabs on this one are mindblowing also. Seriously, if you haven't heard this record yet, don't be like me and palm it off for too long, stop reading now, get a copy and then come back to me, hahaha.



When I saw Converge play not so long ago, they played a bunch off of this record, and it translated live, just as well as on the record.



I like Clear records. Not as much as I like Red, but a good Clear LP is always a nice addition to my meagre, yet ever growing, collection.



The artwork on this one is fairly typical Bannon fare (and that's not to say it isn't awesome, but it is unmistakably his style of art), and until I sat down tonight to actually take some pics of it, I didn't really realise how much work must have gone into it. While it has a fairly common theme of a female form of some description, the layers of paint that have been photographed for use within the art, and the structuring of the images themselves is awesome. I have a print from this art that I want to get framed and hung pretty soon.

So, go and buy it (You can still get copies of this one, and the Yellow on the Converge store, or hit eBay, you can get Yellow copies for $11 plus postage from some places), listen to it and enjoy. Your ears will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment