Monday, March 22, 2010

Manic Monday.

So after the drought that was last week, I have had the pouring of the Vinyl rains! I like to call it Manic Monday.

Only 1 record here I haven't listened to a hundred times before, So I guess I will start with that.



The first Pygmy Lush LP, Bitter River.

This is a band I didn't get onto straight away, and I have no idea why, as I love most things that Chris Taylor does, but sometimes that's just the way it goes.

I was a bit taken aback when I first dropped the needle onto this one, as the first song reminds me a lot of some of the PG99 stuff, and I actually thought the whole record might be a screamo record. Then it mellowed the fuck out and was what I thought it was going to be.



Having said that, the first song kinda got me wanting to go back and listen to the PG99 stuff I have (lots of 7 inches, but only 2 of the LP's). The artwork and vinyl colourway all go together very nicely, so this is actually an awesome package to look at.



The insert is actually a lot of fun, one side being all the info and the other being a collection of goodies.

I picked this up on eBay for a buy it now price of $8 plus $10 for postage. Can't argue with that.

Next up was a record I really should have bought about 7 years ago, as they are one of my favourite bands, but I did have the limited Digipak CD, so I guess that counts for something.



The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site.

The art alone is reason alone to own this on LP. It actually makes a lot more sense in the larger format.



The back of the sleeve is a lot of fun.



More illustrations on the Insert, and the backside of the insert has the lyrics and some quotes from books, authors, newspapers etc.



And good old Black Vinyl. I haven't got a great deal to actually say about this record. I am listening to it as I type this, and I can't help but grin like an idiot as I remember the show they played here but a few weeks ago, and the immense amount of joy I got from this band. Seriously, just go and buy a Weakerthans LP today. Pure poetry and fun folky/country rock tunes.
C'mon, John K Sampson did the best Propagandhi song ever. Letter of resignation on the Split 7 inch with FYP.

And the last of my PO Box scores for today was this little bastard.



Another record I used to own, and one I am fucking happy to finally have in my collection again.
I am not all about different colours of each recording and each pressing, I just want one to listen to, and this was on the list of wants from many moons ago (I still need to get Degenerate again, but I am still hoping for a repress at some stage).

I really love the art on this one. Typical Rohan Harrison art (for this kind of stuff he does, he actually does some amazing stuff in other styles too, you should check out his stuff by going here: Weiffenbach, he also just did a shirt design for my band, The Omen), but it has lovely colour work, using water colours, which really gives it a softer side to the actual art, but still upholding what it needs to get across.



I am extremely jealous of how well they pulled off this concept record. It's very well written, fast and fucking angry, with just the right amount of mosh parts. Totally Radical.



The back side of the insert has all the lyrics laid out. Very simple insert, but so fitting.

With the Suffer LP about to drop next week, listening to this this evening was great. It's getting me even more amped on the Suffer release. They're like a young Extortion. So fucking angry.

When I got home, I came inside and sat down before heading off to have dinner at my Mums joint, and my Wifer came in holding 2 more packages. I don't often get records sent to home, unless I forget to change the details in my eBay account, which I must have done in this case.



The 10 inch version of Lagwagon - Let's talk about feelings on Black vinyl.



Not my favourite Lagwagon record, but a very welcome addition to my collection.



Pretty standard stuff really. Nothing jumps out at me about this release...
Just being honest.

Then, something my wife bought for me.

A painted LP from an artist in the UK.



It combines 2 of my favourite things, Art for our lovely house and records.

It seems to be a mix of ink, marker and paint. I love it, and my wife buying me a record of any sort, is a big step.

Ah love, ain't it so fucking grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment