Monday, March 15, 2010

Steadfast - Whine 7 inch EP

So, my wife is watching a recorded episode of Neighbours, and I am in the study listening to some old music, getting siked on releasing some Melbourne classics and decided I'd take a couple pics with my iPhone, hope they look ok and post about a great EP by a band that (I believe) were short lived and only put out this and a demo tape.



The band is called Steadfast and all I really know is that it had Steve from One Inch Punch/Mid Youth Crisis singing and playing guitar on it.



It is quite similar to early One Inch Punch stuff. Awesome fast punk stuff, with Steves trademark vocals.

I picked up this record at a record fair, probably close to 10 years ago, for a measly $4 (you can still see the sticker on it), and I was there with my old mate Gabe Delaine (Jungle Fever/SXWZRD), and I went to look through the LP's, but he bumped me out of the way so he could have first look, so I moved over to the 7 inches, and pulled out this EP. You should have seen his fucking face drop. I had seen him animated, but he was deadset gutted at me picking this up, and for $4 too.

I only really knew about it because another old mate of mine, Alex, worded me up on it;s existence, and how much he wanted one. I wasn't going to let this one go (but I did find a copy second hand for $10 in Sydney about 3 years ago, and picked it up for him then), and I was so stoked with my purchase, I really lost interest in any other records that day.



The artwork is awesome. It really fits the who vibe of the record.



The insert itself is also a lovely piece. Not too many bands do this kind of shit with Inserts anymore. A good package all over.

I had heard so talk of other stuff that had been recorded, but had no vocals being out there, and that Steve did Vocals for it when MYC did the first re-union shows, but then I never heard anything about it again. It's a pity really, but then again, having this awesome collection of 4 songs is also a nice little reminder of the early 90's Melbourne Hardcore/Punk scene.

I might try and get this ripped onto my computer and upload it at some stage too.

This is also the first release by the amazing DIY label, Spiral Objective, that was (and still is I think) based in South Australia. There is an insert about the label in the EP too.



Spiral Objective was an amazing Label/Zine/Distro. Looks like the site is no longer there, but I just found out that the back catalogue of zines was acquired by the State Library of Victoria Zine Collection in 2009.I might have to drag my ass down and do some investimagationing!

Well, that's all for today, hopefully I get some records in the mail this week...

2 comments:

  1. Some of these Steadfast eps had hand written messages on the paper inner sleeves - mine has "ok is never a threat" written on it. I bought it from Spiral back in the day, so I assume Greg and the order packing crew must have written it. The Spiral label put out some great stuff, the Drop Dead aussie tour ep is worth digging up, as is the Price of Silence 10".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I used to own a copy of this until it got trashed when my place flooded. If you could rip a copy and put it up that would sure be swell....

    ReplyDelete