Saturday, March 13, 2010

Nirvana "Live at Reading" & Slayer "Reign in Blood".

So, I picked up a couple things over the weekend, and couldn't wait to post about them, as they involve 1 of my all time fav bands and of of my top ten of all time records...

First up, Nirvava's LIVE AT READING 2 x LP.



This recording has been bootlegged many many times over the years, and it is really nice to see it get the treatment it deserves with this release.



It has a great set list, from the bands output up to 1992, and it is one of those shows where Kurt was fucking on!

The artwork on this is awesome, on reverse board stock and on super thick card (the same as the Bleach Re-issue) so there is little chance of fucking this packaging up easily.

The layout is really nice, but it would have been awesome to have had some more info on the show, maybe Dave and Krist's memories of the show (as I heard Kurt refused to go on stage unless someone scored dope for him, and no one wanted to given his fragile state), or a bit of the story of how they played really early in the day on the first the year before, and then in 1992 they headlined the last night.



The photos are really nice, but I would have loved to have them in a booklet like the re-issue of Bleach (more so because I wanna bootleg one of the images and make myself a t shirt of Kurt in the hospital gown)



Once again, the vinyl is lovely 180 Gram, this time on black. The sound quality is amazing, such a good live recording, as is the case with the Bleach re-issue, and it is really nice to have such quality live recording s getting the proper release, as the bootlegged versions were always a bit lacking.

My only complaint on the actually live recording is the omission of the line Kurt sings before he "collapses" at the start of the set (The first line of "THE ROSE" by Bette Midler). Would have been a nice touch I think.

As a whole though, this is a fucking kickass package, and I am really happy to have it in my collection.

Next up...

Slayer's Reign in Blood LP.



I'm not sure on the pressing info on this one, what year it was issued etc, as there is nothing to indicate what pressing it is. I picked it up at Missing Link and I am sure I paid too much for it, but I have wanted this for ages, and I can now cross it off my list of wants.

The sleeve on this one is really flimsy, and has already shown signs on wear at the top of the sleeve, but as long as I keep it nice and tightly stored, I shouldn't have any issues with it.



The insert is a one sided black and white, and I imagine when this first came out it would have had a printed inner sleeve, so that's a bit of a pity, but it is what it is.



The vinyl is black, and the sounds is awesome, but I have one criticism (surprise, surprise).
There is actually a gap between Postmortem and Raining Blood, so you get the start of the thunder and rain, then a 2 second gap, then it comes back in. Not a fade in and out, but an actual gap. Super weird, and makes me want to email Geffen/Def Jam to find out what the fuck happened with this pressing. I guess I will have to do some snooping on this one...

So, there you have 2 Geffen releases, both awesome records, but one done really really well, and the other falling a little short of the mark.

Still, who can say they don't love to sit down and listen to Reign in Blood from start ti finish and then wanna go out and either break something, break someones face or thrash the fuck outta ya skateboard!

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. They did the same thing on the reissue of South of Heaven, where there is a gap between the title song and Silent Scream.

    Amateurs...

    ReplyDelete