Friday, July 16, 2010

Alkaline TRio - Maybe I'll Catch Fire.

For a really long time I thought this record defined me. Looking back, I think it really did capture a lot of what I was feeling at the time, but I don't think it really defined me...



For years, I was a sad sack of a skinny kid (Now I'm fat old and happy!), thinking I was Australias answer to Matt Skiba, but all I was doing was stealing his lyrics and screaming like a fucking banshee. I did love what I was doing, and I told him a couple times how much I loved what he did. He probably thought I was a crazy fucking kid, when I was really a 24 year old man with an obsession.



I do have a cool Alkaline Trio story that I haven't shared yet...

Nope, just checked, I haven't. An old mate of mine used to run a radio show called Mondo Bizarro (He now does Short.Fast.Loud on Triple J), and he drop me a line to let me know his co presenter was interviewing Matt Skiba, and would I like to sit in on it? I was stunned. He had to ask if I was still there... One short call to work to let them know I was "Sick" and that I wouldn't be in that day and I headed into Brunswick to the 3RRR studios to meet my idol. I got there, and like a true fanboy, I took a record to get signed for me, and a CD for my then Girlfriend (Now Wife). The Good Mourning record had just come out, so I took a copy of the CD for the signature for my chick, and my copy of "I Lied My Face" off for Matt to sign.



When I get there, the whole band has turned up. I was fucking stoked. I get Dan and Matt to LP and all of them to sign my Wifes CD, and there were a few kids who had won a competition to be there to meet the band, and they were all super nice and not rude at all. I was in heaven. The kids were led out and Dan and Derek were cold chillin' in the foyer, and I said my thanks and went to bail, when Adrian (The DJ) piped up and said, "Hey Craigos, you wanna sit in on this one?". Of course I bloody well did want to!

I was in the room while Matt was on air, and towards the end, Adrian says "I have Craigos here, he is your number 1 fan." I turn Red, Matt says "Hi Craig", and then Adrian asked if I have a question I want to ask. I ask a question and then it moves onwards from there.



I don't actually remember the question I asked. I really wish I did, because I am sure it sounded retarded, but Matt Skiba never missed a beat. After that I was leaving to head home, and I remembered that I'd bought Adrian a demo tape from my new band, and headed back in telling him I had a new tape for him, and Matt Skiba stops, turns around, and asks if I have on he can have too? Seriously, could this shit get any better? I give Matt the tape, tell Adrian I'll hook him up next time and then I apologised for ripping off his lyrics and bailed.

And that's my Alkaline Trio Story...



This record came out in 1996, this is the Re-issue, and I bought it from Epitaph. I did have the Original once, but sold it (along with the signed copy of "I Lied my Face Off", I know, I'm a fucking moron) along with every other record I had at the time. I will track down the Original pressing again, but this will do for me to listen to. I love this record, I love the songs so much, and I even really dig on the artwork.

Buy it. Spin it. Love it.

"I've got a big fat fucking bone to pick with you my darling..."

No comments:

Post a Comment