Tuesday, June 22, 2010

2 records from 2 different Worlds...

Today I got 2 albums that I have been waiting for for fucking ages, (Although 1 is a re-issue, I assumed it was coming when the first LP was given the repress treatment) although both gave me very different feelings.



I should have been overjoyed by both releases getting their way to me (1 via Mailbox, 1 waiting at home with my wife) on what turned out to be a hectic day for me.

Onto the records:



First up is the Third pressing (I guess this is almost a repress given the time frame elapsed since the last pressing) of Mastodon's Leviathan. Now I fucking love this record. Maybe not as much as I love Remission, but it has definitely held a spot in my heart for a long time, and it has been an elusive (re)addition to my record collection. Not because it hasn't come up, I just couldn't push myself to pay the price commanded for the First press, and I was not too worried about the picture disc, as the sound wasn't what it could be (even though I have it on coloured vinyl...). But here it is, in all it's glory.





Now, this is where I start my story. This is how a record should look, and I hope to get my own releases to this level eventually. Heavy/Thick card stock covers, awesome gatefold, great printing and just a stellar package all round. The insert is black with a gold spot colour. Just lovely.



Now, this was sent to me in a nice sturdy mailer, wrapped in 2 layers of bubble wrap and a cardboard packing square to protect my purchase. It also arrived in less than a week. I wasn't surprised when I saw the little Red and White card in my PO Box, but I was when I saw the "RELAPSE" stamp on the package, as I wasn't expecting it to come for another few weeks.



I even posted a pic on my Twitter when I opened it and saw the packaging. This made my last day at my current role at work, all the more sweet (and the pink iced cupcakes my work colleague made me!). It was one of those times when you actually want to go home and just sit in your comfy chair and listen to records all day long.

My wife had told me that an LP box had turned up for me today, so as I stepped in the door, I kissed her hello (she isn't well today either), got changed into my home clothes and then went on the hunt to find the package (She has a habit of putting my mail down somewhere, but can never remember where she put it).

So, this brings me to my down side.



My pre order for the Break Even - The Bright Side LP turned up from Italy (after multiple delays, but these happen, not to worry. At least they got to me right?), and I was siked to get this bad boy onto my turntables, as I had just missed the weekends shows that Break Even had played, as the first was sold out (So I went out for dinner and then to play blackjack with my best mate Shane and old mate xStux), and the second I wasn't feeling the greatest, so I missed it.



I saw the box was a little battered, but that happens, hence why we pack them nice and safely, so that the outside may be a lottle fucked up, but the LP's inside are nice and safe...

As i opened the box, I started to worry, flimsy Euro mailer.

Heart sank a little more, no plastic sleeves/shrinkwrap on the records.

Sinks a bit more as see that there is no bubble wrap or cardboard mailer packing square protecting the LP's.

Almost into my stomach now, records have been mailed in the sleeves.

All the way out of the packaging and I am fucking furious!!
NB: (now those that know me well, know I am furious about a lot of shit, but this is my top bugbear!)



The spines are split and the corners are bent and I am not stoked at all. I have waited for fucking ever to get these records (delayed by a month, and as I said, I understand that this happens, and isn't my worry here), and they are not in the minty fresh condition that they should be. I start ranting and raving to my wife (who really has no idea why I am so upset), and then decide that I'm gonna do what anyone would do these days. Whinge about it on the internet, and that brings me to now...



Positives about this release: It's Break Even, and I fucking love this record. The band lost a good friend/brother and band mate after a tour a couple years ago, and a good chunk of what this record is about is about Rowan. This makes me happy, as you need to talk about people after they have left this world, and make sure that no one forgets them.

I actually like the vinyl configuration on the LP pictured (the other is blue/black inside out vinyl, and doesn't really grab me), even though I have moved right away from Splatter vinyl.



You should pick this record up at some stage, and when it gets a release. Cloud Street, which is the unreleased solo record of Rowans. It'll be out sometime soon, and I hope it gets an LP release too.



I now have 2 copies of this LP, that I am selling, as I will buy a copy with no creases in the sleeve or split spines, so if you want a copy of this for $10 plus postage, hit me up on c.wainwright@bigpond.com. Or write to me anyway.

I like email...

No comments:

Post a Comment