Friday, June 11, 2010

Metallica - The $5.98 EP

Sick in bed. Again. Not into it to be honest. I really need a record playing in the bed room, or to get off my ass and put on in the lounge so I can chill on the couch when I'm sick and listen to records.

Anyways.

I dragged my ass out of bed long enough to go to the Doctors, and while I was at it I thought I would sift through my emails, work on some artwork for the The Omen 7 inch and listen to some comfort music. So I pulled this bad boy out.

This is another one of the records I hung on to. Mainly because I knew what I would have to pay to get the fucker back (and it is one that I would want to buy back at some stage), and because of how well I did when I bought it.

I have been a Metallica fan for a long time, and I have some older pressings of the first 3 albums, a couple re-issued singles from the same era (My favourite era of Metallica to be honest and I plan on buying the 45RPM represses at some stage too) and then this bad boy. I was shopping with my girlfriend of the time (Now my lovely and loving Wifer) at the Camberwell Markets (for those not of Melbourne, the Camberwell Markets are in a well to do area of the Eastern Suburbs, about 15 minutes from the City, and it used to be a fucking awesome place to shop for anything your heart could desire. For those in the US, it is like a swapmeet/flea market type vibe) and there was a dude with a couple crates of records. And not like the usual shit you find, where they have crates and crates of shit and maybe 1 or 2 good records in the whole lot, but 2 crates of fucking sick records.



This was sitting in the middle of the crate, and had a $25 price tag on it. Now I had seen this in Au Go Go for years with a price tag of $65-80 dependant on the seller at the time, and I knew that I didn't want to pay that for it, so I picked this up quick smart. The dude said to me that the record had a surface scratch on it, and pulled it out to show me. It did indeed have a surface mark throughout the whole of one side. He did say that he didn't have any issues with it playing and that he didn't get any noise from it either. For $25 I wasn't really worried too much, and picked it up, took it home, dropped a needle on it and it played fine. I really appreciated him being upfront though. I am pretty sure I bought my mate Gordy a Death Metal record from the same dude too for $10. I defs should have just bought a bunch of his shit. Oh well.



The cover on this is sick. I always loved the record sleeve for this. The back has some great photos, including James wearing a Faith No More shirt.



I like the blurb on the back heaps too. So much so I took a closer shot for all of you to enjoy.



A good fucking record, with some awesome songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment