Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin

I really feel as though I have been neglecting my little outlet for stories and those lovely slabs-o-wax that hit my Porch/PO Box every day or so, but I am in the midst of my "week from hell". This week is taken up with playing shows (Monday, Thursday and Friday), rehearsing with 2 bands Tuesday and Wednesday) and trying to cram in watching Masterchef with my wife. Normally I get between half an hour and an hour in between the time I get home and she gets home, so I can sit down in my extremely uncomfortable computer chair, put on the records I got that day, or enjoy something from the racks, and type away here. I love it, and with weeks like this, I really miss it.



I have had a bunch of records arrive in the last week (In fact, today I had one I have been chasing for fucking ages, but I will post about that one on the weekend), but I thought I would drag out this little gem from my ever growing collection and share/show off.
I love Darkest Hour, and they are one of my favourite bands (I don't like everything they have ever done, and I didn't like the Deliver Us record at all really) but they are a good band, a bunch of great guys and this record is in my top 3 records of all time.



Back when the band toured for Undoing Ruin, my old band, In Name and Blood, was lucky enough to play half of the shows (My wife and I also travelled to Adelaide to see them play with The Rivalry). This is where I came to realise that not only was it a sick record, but because they were super nice guys, I enjoyed it even more. It just felt like it was all for the right reasons. The production is spot on too. I really love what Devin Townsend has done with this record. So much so that I am considering asking him to mix my new bands album.





The artwork is also something that really grabbed me. It was downright fucking brutal, but not gory. It kinda challenged you, but you didn't really know why. This cover made me realise how much I was really into Chris "Crude" Taylors artwork.



I have owned a couple copies of this record, the first have a defect in the vinyl which caused it to skip, the second I took with me when I got my DH Tattoo and it got left behind as I had planned to get more work done at that studio, but never ended up going back (I will be honest and say that my wife was less than stoked when I turned up at home after getting tattoo'd with a dead child permanently applied to my forearm. Not stoked at all, but that's what happens when you're a dumbass and don't consult with your life partner about these kinds of things...).



And then I got a copy on White and was stoked (Although the gold copy I first had was my fav of the colours).

That was until I got my hands on this bad boy.



Someone on Dead Format was selling a bunch of records, lots of stuff I would have loved to have bought, but didn't have the cashola I needed, but this was listed, and had been for a few days. I was so sure that I wasn't going to get this record, as it should have been snapped up straight away. I mean come on, who WOULDN'T want to own a Test Pressing of one of the greatest Thrash/Hardcore records released in the last 10 years? It was also listed at the low price of $US50 postage paid. I checked my Paypal, check the bank account to make sure I could actually afford it, dropped a PM, and a week later it was sitting at my doorstep.

I am often dubious, as I have been ripped off a couple times, but old mate that sold me this was spot on (my dubiousness wasn't helped by the crudely drawn DH on the label), although he did neglect to tell me it had been signed by the whole band. I was over the f*cking moon. I could have gotten it signed myself I'm sure, but seriously, given I wasn't expecting it, and being the Uber fanboy that I am at times, this just made my day.



Even my wife was stoked on it, and usually she doesn't care much unless it's a record she really loves, but I think seeing me so happy with this little score got here stoked on it, and offered to have it framed. To be honest, I only played it once to make sure it was what it said it was (I also checked the matrix, etc against my copy on White, and of course it matched up), and it has been stored snugly next to my other copy in my record storage unit.

I just hope that they come back out on the new record, as I really liked that one.

That'd make me a happy little camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment