Sunday, June 6, 2010

Alkaline Trio - Crimson

I have been flat fucking out this week, as I mentioned in my last post, and the weekend was supposed to be a chilled out affair. Shit never happens that way now does it?



Yesterday (Saturday) I went record shopping with my homeboy Shane. Something we try to do once a month (as in hit 3-4 shops in town, rather than the pop in we do whenever we're in town normally), and this was a doozey for me. Spent a couple hundred bucks on some good records. Not a great deal of Metal or Hardcore, but a punk record or 4 and some other shit I have been meaning to pick up for a long time.



It's funny, I always thinks that buying online is cheaper, and it can be when I buy multiple records and save on postage, but a lot of the stuff I buy is BIN stuff on eBay and the record end up costing about the same when you add postage. I will admit that I do love get records in the mail though. Hahaha. But I am going to do my best to support my local record shops more, as I really want to make sure that they stay open.



I had planned to post about a record I got during the week that I had been chasing for a while, but then I was listening to this tonight, and I do really love this record. I listen to it almost daily in my car, and I really should have bought it on LP when it first came out, but I was broke as a joke then, so I didn't.



But here it is on my turntable now.



I love the colour of the vinyl on this pressing. It's listed as Lime. It is partially transparent when held up to the light, and you can see all the other colours in it then. This type of vinyl is making a big impression with me at the moment.

To be brutally honest, I am pretty over the DMM pressed stuff, and all of the crazy splatter vinyl. I have pressed stuff like that myself in the past, and I was alllll about it, but now I really like a good solid colour with deep grooves I can see, and the Direct Metal Mastering stuff doesn't have that same visual aesthetic. That's why I am loving the Epitaph releases at the moment. Great colours, good heavy vinyl and it always sounds fucking sick.



The artwork on this is nice and simple. Nothing too over the top.

This record is one of the best from the Alk3 in my opinion. From the "Total Eclipse of the Heart" rip off piano intro right down to the last song, it just kicks on through and does what Alkaline Trio do best.



This one is numbered out of 1000, and I don't know if that is per colour, or just the whole pressing. I need to look into that one a bit more.

I think it's still in print, but if not, you can get them pretty cheap on eBay.

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment